National BizFest Competition to take place at the USHCC 32nd Annual National Convention in Miami Beach, September 18 – 21, 2011 –
The United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (USHCC) Foundation, in partnership with the with Visa, Sempra Utilities and Mission Federal Credit Union, officially announced the six student finalists from the 2011 San Diego BizFest Youth Entrepreneurship Competition who will be moving on to the national competition in Miami Beach, Florida this September.
These six students represent the top contenders from the USHCC Foundation’s San Diego BizFest competition, which took place August 25 – 27, 2011, and was taught by the University of Texas-Pan American and co-hosted by The Alianza Network.
BizFest, a signature initiative of the USHCC Foundation, is an innovative and intensive entrepreneurial training program that teaches Hispanic high school juniors and seniors how to turn their hobbies into profitable business ventures. Over 30 students participated in the BizFest Competition in San Diego, representing eight area high schools.
The six finalists from San Diego will compete against their peers from McAllen, Texas at the National BizFest Competition, taking place at the USHCC 32nd Annual National Convention & Business Expo in Miami Beach from September 18-21, 2011.
The six San Diego finalists selected to compete in Miami include:
- Luis Venegas (Sweetwater High School) –”Trans-Fi,” Top Three Finalist
- Gio Sahagun (Sweetwater High School) – “Your Time,” Top Three Finalist
- Jesus Montijo (Sweetwater High School) – “Pro-Neck,” Top Three Finalist
- Kevin Thai (Crawford High School) – “Conception” – Most Innovative
- Joanna Brito (Point Loma High School) – “Fruit of the Book” – Business Plan with the Most Potential
- Guadalupe Barajas (Point Loma High School) – “Eco Able Inc.” – Most Entrepreneurial
The panel of judges at the event included Ruben Garcia, Director, U.S. Small Business Administration; Jacqueline Reynoso, President/CEO, National City Chamber of Commerce; Robert Villarreal, Director, CDC Small Business Finance; Miguel Vasquez, President/CEO, California Foundation Fund; Deanna Smith, President, GNI Bakery; and Elizabeth Schott, Executive Director, ACCION San Diego. Aurelia Flores, Creator and Founder of PowerfulLatinas.com also gave a keynote address to the students.