New Latina Connects Leading Digital Latino Influencers as Partners for “Walk-n-Roll for Spina Bifida Blog Carnival Fundraiser”
The Collaborative Partnership of Eleven (11) National Organizations Marks the First of its Kind as it Seeks to Support the Founder of “Holdin’ Out For A Hero” During Spina Bifida Awareness Month
Under the leadership of New Latina, a bicultural lifestyle and online destination centered on personal growth for today’s Latina, members of social media’s most prominent Latino online influencers – bloggers, business owners and networks – have partnered to educate audiences on Spina Bifida and raise funds for continued research.
The group is backing the “Walk-N-Roll Spina Bifida Blog Carnival Fundraiser,” in support of one of social media’s leading Latina activists, Laura Tellado, Founder of HoldinOutForAHero.org. Ms. Tellado was also born with Spina Bifida, a birth defect in which the backbone and spinal canal do not close before birth.
“According to the Spina Bifida Association of America, Spina Bifida has been found to occur more frequently in Hispanic populations. Therefore, the Latino blogger network provides an excellent forum to increase awareness on important issues like this one affecting our community,” says Publisher and CEO of New Latina, Angélica Pérez-Litwin, PhD. “Our hope is to use this effort as a model for working together, across network interests, and to promote and advocate on issues affecting the Latino community.”
“I am incredibly grateful to the all the partners involved in making this dream a reality,” says Ms. Tellado, who has dedicated her life to raising awareness on the issue. “I’m encouraged by the partnership and believe it reinforces my motto that it really does ‘take a village.’ I hope next week’s Blog Carnival will educate families about Spina Bifida and gain support for Spina Bifida Association (SBA) chapter in central Florida.”
The Walk-N-Roll Spina Bifida Blog Carnival encourages bloggers and online media to publish a “call to action” using existing content created by Ms. Tellado on Wednesday, October 25, 2011. Concurrently, participants are encouraged to spread the word on Facebook and Twitter asking others to donate to the cause via Ms. Tellado’s Chipin Page. Further instructions, as well as blog carnival badge and grab codes, can be found on New Latina and other partnering sites.
The following partners, listed in alphabetical order, represent the eleven (11) national online entities supporting the Blog Carnival:
- Being Latino: A communication platform designed to educate, entertain and connect all peoples across the global Latino spectrum.
- Blogs by Latinas: Online destination of more than 1,800 Latina bloggers.
- Hispanicize: A leading Latino social media news content and digital services platform delivering the latest trends, thoughts, programs, features, issues and questions surrounding social media and technological initiatives impacting online Latinos.
- Holdin’ Out for a Hero: A site designed to generate public awareness of Spina Bifida, and its secondary conditions, while providing moral support and a forum for all who are affected.
- Latina Bloggers Connect: A place for the community of Latina Bloggers to keep learning and growing as professionals and reap the rewards.
- Latina Mom Bloggers: A sister company of Hispanicize and go-to place for Hispanic online moms to learn and discover new ways to leverage their voice and social media presence.
- Latinos in Social Media: The largest organization of Hispanic Social Media users composed of bloggers, microbloggers, social network group leaders, e-commerce owners, marketers and more.
- Multicultural Familia: An online magazine that is dedicated to addressing issues that affect modern families.
- New Latina: A personal growth and empowerment online destination for Latina women, by Latina women.
- The Sánchez Ricardo Agency: A digital media and Hispanic communications firm representing business groups, nonprofits and corporations seeking strategic counsel in reaching diverse populations online and off.
- SoLatina: An online community for single Latina mothers…where all Latinas Are Welcome.
For more information on Spina Bifida and Ms. Tellado’s story, please visit HoldinOutForAHero.org. For additional information related to this effort, please contact its public relations partner Midy Aponte of The Sánchez Ricardo Agency at 202.244.4415 or via email at [email protected].