To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Vice President, Communications is an expert in communications, public relations, media relations, community relations, crisis management and reputation management. This job description will provide you with guidelines for understanding your responsibilities. These guidelines may change to meet the specific business needs of the Agency.
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice President
SUPERVISES: Public Relations Team
CORE COMPETENCIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· 15+ years of marketing and/or public relations experience
- Strong understanding of business
- Experience building and managing a team of professionals
- Exceptional writing & editing skills (Spanish & English)
- Extremely well-organized and meticulous attention to detail
- Strategic planning and budgeting experience
- In depth knowledge of social media platforms
- Ability to multi-task with several clients and projects simultaneously
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in journalism, communications, English, business or public relations is preferred
- Proven history of success (portfolio, recommendations etc.)
Client Relationship Management
As Vice President, Communications, you are responsible for protecting and growing the agency’s communications, public relations and media relations practice, ensuring high-quality strategic counsel and tactical implementation of client deliverables and the recruitment and development of account teams.
- Establish and build strong personal and working relationships with designated client contacts
- Maintain each client’s respect and confidence as a trusted advisor and confidant offering an eager and open ear, sound judgment, proven business acumen and a range of relevant approaches to various issues and opportunities
- Remain in touch with the agency’s “day-to-day” business on behalf of clients – knowledgeable and conversant in their key issues, competitive situation, industry trends and the projects assigned the agency as well as other communication partners
- Demonstrate confidence, authority and level-headed decision-making as the agency’s leadership voice on assigned accounts
- Effectively and confidently balance the dual expectations and business goals of the client and agency as well as the expectations of multiple clients and agency teams
- Anticipate and address potential client relationship or revenue issues, advising agency management in time for the agency to act proactively
Strategic Planning & Oversight
The VP is responsible for setting the strategic direction of accounts. This includes strategic planning, budgeting, client leadership, brand development/management, and monitoring and reporting account status to República’s clients and executives on a regular basis.
Staff Leadership and Support
The Vice President position requires you to focus and employ the agency’s resources to effectively and profitably serve existing clients while developing the skills and talents of the account staff. This includes being a strong role model, hiring, conducting performance reviews, selecting vendors, delegating work and holding people accountable.
- Outline expectations of, and communicate effectively with, agency staff assigned to these accounts
- Conduct employee reviews, together with the executive team, and provide recommendations for salary increases and title promotions among your staff
- Effectively assign, delegate and monitor the work of the agency staff assigned the accounts specified above as well as other accounts/projects as assigned
- Provide a model of project/team leadership, which is prepared and pro-active, thorough and accurate, fair and balanced, and willing to do whatever is required
- Establish rapport and trust with a range of staff members assigned to your account(s) – recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of individual staff members; acknowledging the expectations of, and on, others; committing to recognize and work to minimize skill gaps; and being willing to consider multiple points-of-view
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to lead the positive, spirited debate of ideas and points-of-view in order to push your team and the agency at large to deliver a continuously improving product, both counsel and creative
- Demonstrate the value of, and encourage your staff’s desire for, continuing to learn
- Create a working environment that encourages and supports a positive mindset about the work as well as the client and agency staff that is involved
- Respond to pressures of work volume and time requirements in a way that is consistent, appropriate and positive for both you and the agency long-term
- Communicate effectively and proactively with staff regarding performance issues and opportunities for improvement
- Encourage, and demonstrate, unity behind team and agency decision-making
Analytical and Planning Abilities
As Vice President, you are required to employ a range of thinking and decision-making approaches – “what if”, “end-in-mind”, “critical”, “trade-off” and “judicious” approaches to issues and initiatives on a daily basis.
- Display, and serve as a model of, marketing curiosity and the willingness to push your own thinking and the agency’s work in new directions