JOB ALERT: Content Specialist, Editorial + Creative Department
This job was posted on September 9, 2014
Position: Content Specialist, Editorial + Creative Department
Company: National Trust for Historic Preservation
Location: Washington, DC
Help save the past to enrich the future! The National Trust for Historic Preservation is the nationally recognized leader of a movement to save America’s historic places and revitalize our older neighborhoods. You can be a part of that mission by helping to craft web and print content that engages our local Preservation Allies, inspiring them to take action on behalf of endangered places that represent our diverse cultural heritage.
The National Trust seeks a creative, energetic, and motivated content specialist to produce and/or edit a wide array of written and audiovisual content for the organization. A function of the Editorial + Creative team, the role will also provide broader organizational support with specific responsibilities identified within Public Affairs and Community Outreach. Types of projects include blog posts, promotional campaign copy, emails, video scripts, annual reports, and more.
Selection will be based on the candidate’s demonstrated writing and storytelling ability, proficiency with multimedia and tech platforms, and interest in/involvement with subject matter.
Examples of our stories and more information about the National Trust can be found on the following websites:
- Research, write, edit, and produce a clear and compelling array of marketing content for the Marketing division
- 40% of effort contributes to Editorial + Creative team; 40% contributes to Public Affairs; and 20% contributes to Community Outreach
- Content includes but is not limited to: website copy, blog posts, stories from the field, promotional copy (ex. brochures, PSAs), emails, video scripts, annual report
- Revise, edit, and proofread content as directed
- Assist with blog and website publication
- Explore and implement different ideas and concepts for both visual and written stories
- Assist with multimedia production
- Participate in advocacy/marketing campaign research, planning, and implementation
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned
- 5 or more years total professional experience including at least 3 years working in a related role, particularly in a matrixed and geographically dispersed non-profit.
- Must have demonstrated writing/storytelling experience and skill (samples are required)
- Excellent research and communication skills, including good listening techniques; a clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills
- Strong knowledge of AP Style and grammar
- Previous experience with blogging platforms, social media, and/or CMS platforms preferred (WordPress a plus)
- Previous experience with multimedia production (filming, editing, coding, etc.) preferred
- Intermediate analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization. Basic project-management skills, including project budgeting and planning, preferred. Ability to achieve results with supervision.
- Proven ability to collaborate across departments to implement processes and achieve results. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated interest in subject matter (history, architecture, historic preservation) a plus
- Demonstrated success in engaging culturally diverse audiences, partners and colleagues and writing about related topics. Bi-lingual proficiency (English-Spanish) a plus
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- BA (or equivalent years of experience) required; graduate degree in writing, English, communications, journalism, history, or a related field preferred.
Email resume and cover letter as Word or PDF attachments to [email protected] . Please include three writing/storytelling samples as attachments or links.