California students majoring in Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing or Communications encouraged to apply by Friday, May 6, 2011
The Los Angeles chapter of the Hispanic Public Relations Association (HPRA), the nation’s leading non-profit organization dedicated to helping Hispanic professional communicators enter and advance within the public relations and marketing communications fields, announced today the start of its 2011 scholarship program application period. Five $2,000 scholarships are available for undergraduate students pursuing a degree in public relations and related communications fields. In addition, one recipient will receive the Esther Renteria Community Service Scholarship of $1,000 for exemplary service to their community.
The scholarship program was created to recognize outstanding undergraduate Hispanic/Latino students who are pursuing a career in public relations and related communications fields. To date, HPRA has awarded more than $230,000. The Esther Renteria Community Service Scholarship was introduced in 2010 in honor of Esther Renteria, an industry leader and advocate for Latinos and their fair representation in communications. The scholarship is now an annual part of HPRA-LA’s scholarship program to honor her community service, advocacy and contributions to the advancement of our industries.
“The need for diversity in the communications fields continues and it is through the HPRA Scholarship Program that we support those who will be leaders in those industries,” said Delia L. Lopez, communications consultant, who is serving her second term as vice president and overseeing the Scholarship Program. “HPRA is the only Hispanic organization that fosters Hispanic talent by providing financial and professional support to students so that they may continue their studies.”
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a college or university by the Fall 2011 semester.
- Be Southern California natives/residents who attend school in California.
- Be an incoming junior and senior student of at least 25 percent Hispanic descent with a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA and 3.0 GPA in their major subject.
- Be legal residents.
- Major in Public Relations, communication studies, journalism, advertising, and/or marketing. (Students majoring in other disciplines who have a desire to work in the public relations industry also are invited to apply)
- Complete and submit all written materials required as part of application process
Complete application details and forms are available at www.hpra-usa.org. HPRA’s College Outreach Directors are also available for questions at email@example.com. Application deadline is Friday, May 6, 2011. Scholarship recipients will be notified in late August and will have the opportunity to attend HPRA’s 27th Annual PRemio Awards & Scholarship Gala in October.