Directs strategy and manages media relations for positioning SEIU members, campaigns and leaders in Hispanic media outlets. Builds relationships with International and local union communications staff and leaders to develop and coordinate public relations, media relations and general communications support for outreach to Hispanic media.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Manages strategy and outreach to generate positive Hispanic media coverage of the union’s members, goals and campaigns.
- Initiates and develops working relationships with Hispanic media journalists.
- Coordinates with lead communications staffers on Issue Campaigns and on Strength and Growth Campaigns to frame and craft campaign messages that will resonate with Hispanic audiences.
- Coordinates with the various divisions and programs of the union to develop stories to pitch to Hispanic media outlets.
- Conducts spokesperson training for SEIU members, leaders and allies in relation to interviews with Hispanic media.
- Manages campaign event communications – strategy, message, look and feel, materials, marketing, media outreach, event flow and agenda.
- Oversees work of communicators within locals to ensure high quality standards, best practices, and consistency of message in relation to outreach to Hispanic media.
- Manages targeting and placement of paid advertisements in Hispanic media to support various campaigns and political action.
- Provides background briefings for International and Local Union Officers, field staff and union members.
- Performs other duties as required to assist the International Union.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and a high level of professionalism.
Interfaces with high level organizational and external contacts, including:
- SEIU members, officers, division leadership, International senior staff, project and program managers, field, political, and organizing directors, local union officers and staff.
- External: news media, politicians, government officials, partners and allies.
- Vendors: design and production companies, consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, advertising agencies.
Ensures that sophisticated choices are made about appropriate vendors and support services.
DIRECTION & DECISION-MAKING:
Reports to the Managing Director of Communications and works with extreme independence.
- Must have demonstrated ability to manage own work and work of others with light supervision.
- Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Must use a high level of judgment and discretion in all areas of work. Must maintain a high level of confidentiality in handling SEIU affairs.
- Must be able to work with International and local union elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes politically sensitive situations.
- Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and set and meet deadlines.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree in communications or related field. Five to eight years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Fluency in Spanish required (verbal and written).
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Experience developing relationships with journalists and placing stories in U.S. Hispanic media outlets.
- Thorough knowledge of community-based news organizations in the United States.
- Thorough knowledge of print, broadcast and electronic media systems.
- Thorough knowledge of media relations and public relations strategies.
- Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
- Skill in the use of online public relations management software.
- Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org