Hispanic Public Relations Association Honors Industry’s Best at 27th Annual PRemio Awards [PHOTO GALLERY]
The Hispanic Public Relations Association (HPRA) celebrated its 27th Annual PRemio Awards and Scholarships Gala last week in Los Angeles with a gala at the Conga Room that honored the industry’s top public relations campaigns and industry professionals as well as awarded scholarships to students entering the communications field.
The association honored national campaigns showing excellence in Hispanic Public Relations with the coveted Campaign of the Year PRemio.[flagallery gid=15 name=”2011 PRemio Awards”]
This year’s winners were:
- Non-Profit: Lopez Negrete Communications for the first mariachi opera, “Houston Grand Opera’s Cruzar la Cara de la Luna”
- Food and Beverage: “Honey Purity” – RL Public Relations for its work with the National Honey Board
- Technology: Edelman for “Kinetic for Xbox 360”
- Public Education – Corporation: VPE Public Relations & McDonald’s® for its work on “Expanding McDonald’s® Hispanic Education Initiative”
- Integrated Marketing Communications: RL Public Relations & Conill for their work with Toyota on “Somos Muchos Latinos. Somos Muchos Toyota”
- Non-Profit Media Event: RL Public Relations for “Getty Museum Aztec Exhibition”
- Corporate Media Event: The Jeffrey Group & Fox Hispanic Media for its “Latino Entertainment. American Attitude” campaign
- Non-Profit: Public Education: Torres Marquez Communications for One Arizona for “Building Latino Political Power in Arizona”
- Healthcare: “LIVESTRONG Hispanic/Latino Outreach” by LIVESTRONG & Edelman
- Fashion & Beauty: Edelman Multicultural for “Suave Professionals: Desfilando Contigo”
- Digital Public Relations: Reyes Entertainment for “The Longoria Affair”
This year’s Public Relations Professional honorees were Angela Sustaita-Ruiz and Manny Ruiz, co-founders of Hispanicize and Hispanic PR Blog, for their work in helping advance the Hispanic PR industry. Goya Foods was presented with the Corporation of the Year award for 75 years of commitment to the U.S. Hispanic market. Other honorees included: Young PR Professional Denisse Montalvan of Ketchum and Journalist Hector Tobar, columnist with the Los Angeles Times.
HPRA also presented $11,000 in scholarships to five Southern California Hispanic students pursuing a career in Public Relations and related communications fields. The scholarship winners were:
- Adriana Maciel de Guillen (Cal State University, Dominguez Hills)
- Amber Varnes (Cal State University, Fullerton)
- Gladys Santos (Cal State University, Fullerton)
- Paula Duran (Cal State University, Northridge)
- Rudy Raya (Sacramento State University)
In addition to a scholarship, Varnes received the Esther Renteria Community Service Award for her community service involvement. This special recognition is given in memory of industry leader and community activist Esther Renteria, co-founder of the National Hispanic Media Coalition and a former HPRA president.
The evening was hosted by KNBC anchor Mekahlo Medina.
This year’s sponsors included RL Public Relations + Marketing; Sportivo; Wells Fargo; Goya Foods; Walt Disney Co.; Southern California Edison; Ketchum; VPE Public Relations; Edelman; Axis Agency; Union Bank; Bank of the West; Staples; Southern California Gas Co.; KNBC; and HPRA’s official newswire distribution partner PR Newswire.