Locales Festival by Chef James to debut in South Florida Sunday, April 2
The first annual Locales Festival by Chef James, a celebration of the Latin American Community and Miami’s diverse culture, debuts in South Florida at Bayside Marketplace on Sunday, April 2, 2017. Hosted by Chef James Tahhan and produced by Premier Tourist and Landmark Association (PTALA), the festival will also celebrate Bayside Marketplace’s 30th birthday and spotlight the community’s accomplishments through the Miami Bayside Foundation (MBF).
“Our goal is to produce the largest family-friendly Latin American festival in the United States. There is no better city to start the Locales Festival than Miami“, said Byron Appel, CEO of PTALA.
Bayside Marketplace, the anchor of Downtown Miami, deemed the Locales Festival as the perfect event to parallel the celebration of its 30th anniversary. Moreover, a portion of the proceeds from the festival will benefit Miami Bayside Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to advancing economic development in Miami through small business loans and a large array of scholarship programs with myriad academic institutions in Miami.
“With the immense amount of community building that Bayside has accomplished over the years, especially through its Miami Bayside Foundation, it was a natural decision to invite Locales Festival to the center stage of the community in Miami,” said Pamela Weller, Bayside’s General Manager.
Chef James Tahhan, the official chef of Telemundo and host of its morning show Un Nuevo Dia, will host Locales Festival alongside honorary chairs Mayor Tomás Regalado and wife Ana Cristina Regalado.
“Bayside is the crown jewel of the City of Miami, and we are celebrating its 30th anniversary. We want to celebrate with our residents, the people of South Florida, and the people of Miami, the magic city,” said Mayor Regalado.
Chef James will also spearhead the panel of celebrity judges for the culinary competition with the Miami Culinary Institute, one of the many culinary-focused activations. “Locales Festival is a platform to showcase my passion for the culinary arts and my love for the Latin American community,” said Chef James.
Sunday, April 2, 2017 – Event Line Up
- Bayside Blaster Family Cruises
- Celebrity Cooking Competition:
- Talented chefs from Miami Dade College’s acclaimed Miami Culinary Institute (MCI) will compete to be named the top in front of celebrity chefs and guests. The winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship to the MCI.
- Beer Garden + Trivia:
- In partnership with Professor Barry Gump of the Brew FIU Program of Florida International University.
- Juice Zone
- Bayside and MBF’s Finest:
- Bayside Marketplace vendors that have flourished from loans provided by the Miami Bayside Foundation will be present for free sampling.
ARTS + SPORTS: (ALL DAY)
- Music by Locales Festival:
- Musicians/Artists from Miami Dade and Broward counties, as selected by top Latin music personalities, will showcase their talent on the Latinos on Fast Track (LOFT) Stage in partnership with the Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF).
- Films by Locales Festival:
- Select high schools with outstanding film programs within Miami-Dade have been invited to produce short films to be screened at Locales for a chance to wow the crowd and film-critics alike.
- Visual Art Tent Displays:
- Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be designing brand-specific tents to showcase their visual art talents.
- Art by Locales:
- A showcase for select Miami-Dade art students to highlight the use of recycled materials in creating imaginative green conscious art works.
- Fashion by Locales Festival: (1-2PM)
- Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be showcasing their repurposed clothing.
- Sports Zone by Locales Festival:
- Miami’s favorite sports teams will present fun filled activities.
LIVE MUSIC + FIREWORKS: (4 – 9:30PM)
- Grammy® nominated artist Fat Joe and Latin Grammy® nominated artists like Locos por Juana, Manu Manzo, Periko & Jessi Leon, top DJs like Mr. Pauer and DJ LOLO will perform their hits. Locales Festival will conclude with an extensive fireworks display. More details will be announced closer to the festival date.
For more information, visit www.localesfestival.com .