HPRA Honors Top Campaigns Reaching Latino Audiences at 29th Annual PRemio Awards & Scholarship Gala
The Clorox Company, Zyrtec, McDonald’s, Starbucks, and Ford Among Top Winners
The Hispanic Public Relations Association (HPRA), the leading non-profit organization founded to advance the careers of Hispanics in the field of communications, this week in Los Angeles honored industry leaders and recognized the best in Hispanic public relations campaigns at its 29th Annual HPRA PRemio Awards and Scholarships Gala.
Picking up top honors for Campaign of the Year awards were:
• Food & Beverage category: Starbucks and Edelman Multicultural
• Health Care category: Zyrtec and Hunter PR
• Public Education Non-profit category: Ford Hispanic Communications with RL Public Relations
• Public Education Corporate category: McDonald’s Hispanic Operators Association/Southern California and Porter Novelli
• Integrated Marketing category: The Clorox Company and The Axis Agency
“The growth and impact Latino public relations professionals are having in the world of public relations matches the expansion of Hispanic markets across the country,” said Stephen Chavez, president-elect of HPRA National. “Tonight’s honorees and winners represent some of the smartest, creative campaigns companies across the U.S. are now implementing to reach this lucrative market.”
Adding a bit of humor to the night’s event as emcee, Filmmaker/Playwright and Co-Founder of the legendary Latino/Chicano performance trio known as Culture Clash, Richard Montoya, joined HPRA in celebration of the achievements of top professionals and organizations.
HPRA’s 2013 PRemio Award honorees included:
PR Achievement Award
Yvonne M. Lorie, President
SWAY Public Relations at MGSCOMM, Miami, FL
Organization of the Year
California State University Fullerton, College of Communications, Fullerton, CA
Media Professional of the Year
Theresa Gutierrez, General assignment reporter and host of “Ñ Beat”
ABC 7 News, Chicago, IL
Young PR Professional of the Year
Mari Escamilla, Hispanic Media Manager & Account Executive
Marketing Maven PR, Camarillo, CA
In addition, HPRA presented $11,000 in scholarships to Hispanic college students pursuing a career in Public Relations and related communications fields as a way to foster Hispanic talent. Over the years, HPRA has awarded more than $250,000 to Hispanic students in California entering the communications field. In addition, this year the New York Chapter of HPRA also recognized the first New York student scholarship recipient.
The 2013 HPRA Scholarship Recipients included:
• Brenda Garcia, California State University, Northridge
• Anthony Juarez, University of La Verne
• Monique Parra, University of La Verne
• Carlos Perales, California State University, Dominguez Hills
• Jennifer Velez, University of California, San Diego
• Lia Martinez Santamaria, New York University
The event was made possible by generous sponsors, including: Wells Fargo Bank, Hispanicize, The California Wellness Foundation, The Walt Disney Company, Sportivo & RL Public Relations, Goya Foods, Southern California Edison, The Coca-Cola Company, VPE Public Relations, IW Group, Telemundo, The LAGRANT Foundation, Edelman, Sprint, Southern California Gas Company, LatinoWire and PRSA-LA.